Posts Tagged ‘USS Cole’

U.S. Navy to Return to Aden Port

April 11, 2008


Interesting. The “possibility”…if they hand over all the Cole bombers?

 

U.S. Navy Yet To Return to Aden

By christopher p. cavas

Once terrorists have chased out United States forces, do those forces go back?

Not in the case of Yemen and the USS Cole.

The Navy confirmed April 10 that no port visits have been conducted in the port of Aden since the Oct. 12, 2000, terrorist attack on the destroyer Cole. Seventeen American sailors were killed and 39 wounded in the attack, which took place during what was intended as a brief refueling stopover.

Aden is in a key location for U.S. and coalition forces, who routinely operate out of nearby Djibouti and patrol the Horn of Africa region.

The issue was broached April 8 during a Senate Armed Services seapower subcommittee hearing when Chairman Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., mentioned he’d recently been told “naval ships don’t go back into Aden” since the attack.

“A person was talking to me,” Kennedy said. “This person mentioned to me that this has some significance, because they’re trying to make the point that Al Qaida is making, that once the United States leaves, it doesn’t come back. And they were using the fact that there had been the attack on the Cole and we haven’t had a Navy ship that’s come back into Aden.

“And they used other examples – the Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia – that once Americans have left places, they don’t come back. And if they leave in Iraq, they’re not coming back.”

Terrorists attacked a U.S. apartment building complex called Khobar Towers in June 1996, killing 20 people, including 19 U.S. service members, and wounding 372.

“It was just an interesting point,” Kennedy said, admitting it was “sort of an off-the-wall question.”

Vice Adm. Barry McCullough, deputy chief of naval operations, replied that he would check on the correct answer, supplied two days later by a Navy spokesman.

“The Navy has not conducted port visits in Yemen since the attack on the USS Cole,” said Lt. Clayton Doss. “We are working closely with Yemen on a range of issues, including the possibility of port visits.”

Kennedy said the issue came up when he was preparing for Senate hearings begun earlier on April 8 with Army Gen. David Petraeus, the U.S. ground commander in Iraq.


Yemen Observer: Al Badawi “In Jail”

October 28, 2007

Most likely because of the vagueness of the government statement, the Yemen Observer has been trying to get definitive proof that al Badawi is actually in prison and not under house arrest. Jane over at Armies of Liberation doubts the veracity of the paper since it is owned by presidential confidant Faris Sanabani. Her concerns are well taken, as whenever the Observer reports on things of this nature it is best viewed with caution. I have given my view of the Observer and Faris in the past and am not ready to dismiss their reports out of hand. I can say that this report is definitely being headed by Faris, as he usually takes the reigns during breaking events and crises.

UPDATED -Breaking News: Jamal Al-Badawi is in Jail 

ADEN – UPDATED: More that one security official at Aden Central Prison confirmed to the Yemen Observer that Jamal al-Badawi is in prison. The Yemen Observer’s Aden correspondent is on the ground attempting to gain access to the imprisoned al-Badawi for a brief statement. More updates will follow.

Jamal al-Badawi, a high-profile Al-Qaeda leader in Yemen, is in police custody, contrary to widespread media reports. Al-Badawi surrendered himself to authorities two weeks ago, according to a senior security official at the Yemeni Ministry of Interior.

The rumor that al-Badawi had been released and was being kept under effective house arrest after pledging allegiance to the authorities was denied by security officials in Yemen. A senior security official at the Ministry of Interior told Yemen Observer that al-Badawi had not been set free, nor was the sentence against him dropped as has been reported by US media.

“Jamal al-Badawi will remain in jail and under close security,” the source told the Observer which has been trying to contact al-Badawi in jail. “Investigations [into his case] are on-going, in accordance with the Yemeni law,” the source said.

Al-Badawi was convicted by a Yemeni court for planning and taking part in the bombing of the USS Cole in 2000 but escaped from prison last year. The US, which lost 17 sailors in the attack, has criticized the decision not to send him back to jail, an action described by American officials as inconsistent with the bilateral counter-terrorism co-operation between the two countries.

Al-Badawi was sentenced to death in 2004 for his role in the bombing, but later had his sentence commuted to 15 years in prison. He escaped from jail early in 2006.  

yemen-observer.gif

Al Badawi Update

October 17, 2007

Dar al Hayat reports that the government was in negotiations with al Badawi for over 9 months. The “informed source” said that Jamal was on the run, living in multiple places until settling in Abyan (Surprise). The source said there is a secret deal between al Badawi and the government, in which he agrees to go back to jail. No further details were released.

Hmm…what does al Badawi get for his part of the deal? I can’t wait to find out.

بعد مفاوضات ووساطات استمرت 9 شهور … اليمن: المتهم الاول بتفجير «كول» يسلّم نفسه في إطار صفقة

:صنعاء – فيصل مكرم     الحياة     – 17/10/07

علم امس في صنعاء أن أبرز الفارين من سجن الأمن السياسي (الاستخبارات) مطلع شباط (فبراير) العام الماضي جمال محمد احمد البدوي الذي ينتمي الى تنظيم «القاعدة» في اليمن، والمتهم الأول بتفجير المدمرة الأميركية «كول» في ميناء عدن في 12 تشرين الأول (اكتوبر) العام 2000، سلم نفسه الى السلطات اليمنية في محافظة أبين (شمال عدن) السبت الماضي طواعية، عبر وسطاء بينهم وجهاء من القبائل وعناصر إسلامية تخلت عن انتمائها الى «القاعدة» في السنوات الماضية

وأكدت مصادر مطلعة أن البدوي سلم نفسه بعد مفاوضات استمرت أكثر من 9 شهور، تنفل خلالها مختفياً بين مناطق عدة منذ فراره، ضمن مجموعة تضم 23 من «القاعدة» من السجن. واستقر أخيراً في محافظة أبين حيث سلم نفسه، ليلتحق بنحو 9 من رفاقه الفارين ممن سلموا أنفسهم طواعية

وقالت المصادر إن ثمة صفقة تمت بين البدوي والسلطات اليمنية تم بموجبها إعادته الى المعتقل، لكن هذه الصفقة لا تزال طي الكتمان ولم يكشف أي طرف تفاصيلها

وأتهم البدوي، المكنى «أبو عبدالرحمن»، ضمن مجموعة من 11 عنصراً من «القاعدة» بتفجير المدمرة «كول» ومقتل 17 بحاراً أميركياً. كما أتهم بالضلوع في الهجوم على ناقلة النفط الفرنسية «ليمبورج» قبالة شواطئ المكلا في محافظة حضرموت (شرق البلاد) في تشرين الأول العام 2002. وكان قاد عملية الفرار الأولى من سجن الأمن السياسي (الاستخبارات) في عدن في 11 نيسان (ابريل) العام 2003. واعتقلته أجهزة الأمن مع الفارين الآخرين في 29 أيلول (سبتمبر) 2005. وقدم للمحاكمة أمام المحكمة المتخصصة في قضايا الإرهاب العام 2006، وحكم عليه ابتدائياً بالإعدام غير أن محكمة الاستئناف المتخصصة خففت الحكم الى السجن 15 عاماً. ويعد البدوي من أهم المطلوبين للولايات المتحدة على خلفية الهجوم على «كول»، وباعتباره من أخطر عناصر القاعدة” في اليمن

Eid Mubarak: Jamal al Badawi “Surrenders”

October 16, 2007

 

Why would Jamal al Badawi just surrender? The information here is scant to say the least. I gotta go find more on this…come back for updates.

UPDATE: AFP reports :

A witness in Aden told AFP Tuesday that Badawi had returned to his home there two days ago amid reports in the neighbourhood that authorities had allowed him to go home in return for a pledge not to engage in any violent or al-Qaeda-related activity.

If true…what an idiot. Actually, when thinking about it, this really only makes sense if the government knew where he was, or at least how to contact him, and has allowed him these types of allowances in the past. Now, I am hardly a conspiracy theorist – I have hesitated to join the side of those who hold that the Yemeni Government let these guys escape in the first place. But why else would al Badawi trust “neighborhood” reports? Similarly, could there be a better time for the Saleh regime to reel this guy in…and in the South no less.

Qaeda militant surrenders after Yemen jail break

Tue 16 Oct 2007, 11:59 GMT

SANAA, Oct 16 (Reuters) – An al Qaeda militant convicted of helping to plan the deadly bombing of a U.S. Navy vessel off the coast of Yemen in 2000 has surrendered to Yemeni authorities, a security source said on Tuesday.

Badawi was one of the architects of the attack on the USS Cole that killed 17 U.S. sailors in the Yemeni port of Aden.

Badawi, whose death sentence had been commuted to 15 years in prison, is one of 23 inmates who escaped from a jail in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa in February 2006.

“Jamal Badawi surrendered a couple of days ago,” said the source without giving further details.

Yemen, the ancestral homeland of Osama bin Laden, joined the U.S.-led war on terrorism after al Qaeda’s Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.

The poor country on the southern tip of the Arabian peninsula is viewed in the West as a haven for Islamist militants. It has witnessed several deadly attacks against Western targets and tourists including the bombing of a French oil tanker in 2002.

A U.S. judge ordered Sudan in July to pay almost $8 million to the families of the soldiers who were killed in the attack on the Cole, in which al Qaeda rammed an explosives-laden boat into the American destroyer.

Sudan has denied involvement in the bombing and has said it would appeal against the ruling.