Posts Tagged ‘al Qaeda’

Al Qaeda Elements Threaten Mareb Authorities, Soldier Killed, Regional Command Bombed

April 12, 2008


This doesn’t sound like any organized al Qaeda-Yemen operation…shooting at an army vehicle and running away. Of course, a number of checkpoints have been attacked as well lately, which AQ apparently later claimed credit for. The “bomb” is more likely a grenade. There are plenty in Mareb sympathetic to al Qaeda and hostile to the central and provincial authority, so it’s not surprising that a threat/eulogy would be sent out. Additionally, the tribes have learned by now that any mention of al Qaeda is a good way to get attention. I could be wrong, but I’m not convinced.

UPDATE: almotamar.net confirms the “explosion.”

 

Al Qaeda threatens leadership in Mareb: One soldier killed in Mareb

السبت 12 إبريل-نيسان 2008 / Mareb Press

One soldier was killed on Saturday by unknown men on Safer road in Mareb province.

The attackers opened fire on an army vehicle leading to the death of one solider. The attackers were able to run away.

The security apparatus are still search and investigating to know the attackers.

On other hand, unknown men threw a bomb on the building of the Command of Middle Region causing no casualties.

It’s worth mentioning that the building of the Command of Middle Region was exposed to a number of attacks during the last months. The attacks allegedly carried out by Al Qaeda. The attack occurred during day time not at night as usual.

Unknown men have distributed publications threatening the leadership and social figures in Mareb with death for being involved, as they claimed, in killing four Al Qaeda men.

The publications which include poems also praise and lament the four Al Qaeda men.

Advertisements

U.S. Navy to Return to Aden Port

April 11, 2008


Interesting. The “possibility”…if they hand over all the Cole bombers?

 

U.S. Navy Yet To Return to Aden

By christopher p. cavas

Once terrorists have chased out United States forces, do those forces go back?

Not in the case of Yemen and the USS Cole.

The Navy confirmed April 10 that no port visits have been conducted in the port of Aden since the Oct. 12, 2000, terrorist attack on the destroyer Cole. Seventeen American sailors were killed and 39 wounded in the attack, which took place during what was intended as a brief refueling stopover.

Aden is in a key location for U.S. and coalition forces, who routinely operate out of nearby Djibouti and patrol the Horn of Africa region.

The issue was broached April 8 during a Senate Armed Services seapower subcommittee hearing when Chairman Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., mentioned he’d recently been told “naval ships don’t go back into Aden” since the attack.

“A person was talking to me,” Kennedy said. “This person mentioned to me that this has some significance, because they’re trying to make the point that Al Qaida is making, that once the United States leaves, it doesn’t come back. And they were using the fact that there had been the attack on the Cole and we haven’t had a Navy ship that’s come back into Aden.

“And they used other examples – the Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia – that once Americans have left places, they don’t come back. And if they leave in Iraq, they’re not coming back.”

Terrorists attacked a U.S. apartment building complex called Khobar Towers in June 1996, killing 20 people, including 19 U.S. service members, and wounding 372.

“It was just an interesting point,” Kennedy said, admitting it was “sort of an off-the-wall question.”

Vice Adm. Barry McCullough, deputy chief of naval operations, replied that he would check on the correct answer, supplied two days later by a Navy spokesman.

“The Navy has not conducted port visits in Yemen since the attack on the USS Cole,” said Lt. Clayton Doss. “We are working closely with Yemen on a range of issues, including the possibility of port visits.”

Kennedy said the issue came up when he was preparing for Senate hearings begun earlier on April 8 with Army Gen. David Petraeus, the U.S. ground commander in Iraq.


Canadian Nexen Hit Next

April 9, 2008


Disarmed? So it’s not mortars this time…ieds?

Blast near Canadian oil firm Nexen offices in Yemen

SANAA, April 10 (Reuters) – A blast shook an area near the headquarters of Canadian oil company Nexen (NXY.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) (NXY.N: Quote, Profile, Research) in the Yemeni capital Sanaa early on Thursday but there were no casualties, a Yemeni security official said.

A second explosive device was disarmed, the official told Reuters.

The blast followed Sunday’s mortar attack that broke windows at a compound housing Americans and other Westerners in Sanaa, which was claimed by an al Qaeda-linked group in the poor Arabian Peninsula country.

(more…)

7 Arrested in Post-Al Qaeda Attack Roundup

April 7, 2008

Many sources out there have seven people arrested so far. According to al-Riyadh, many of the seven “Ilsamists” arrested have information about “suicide bombers.” The article does not make clear whether the arrests were specifically linked to the arrest of Abdullah al-Raimi on 5 April, or whether they were picked up following the projectile attack. The AFP article for its part does say that the seven were arrested “in conection with the attack,” however. If you recall, the AQ-Yemen video released earlierl by the “Jund al-Yemen Brigades” included statements by an “Abu Miqdad” claiming he was a suicide bomber ready to sacrifice himself for UBL. Also, apparently the projectiles were launched by three people from a vehicle in the neighborhood. 

(the al-Riyadh article is rather silly in the way it mixes in reporting of AQ and the southern riots…as if the two are linked)

UPDATE: AP is saying the seven were arrested “on suspicion of involvement in the attacks.”

 

القاعدة) تتبنى الهجوم على سكن أمريكيين في صنعاء.. وصالح يشكل لجنة لمعالجة الأوضاع بالجنوب)

:صنعاء – محمد القاضي

شنت السلطات الأمنية اليمنية في العاصمة صنعاء حملة اعتقالات على خلفية الهجوم الذي تعرض له مبني يسكن فيه عمال شركة هنت الأمريكية للنفط بالقذائف مساء الأحد فيما مسؤل امني قال ان القاعدة تقف وراء الهجوم

وقالت المصادر ل”الرياض” ان حملة الاعتقالات طالت نحو سبعة اشخاص ينتمون الى جماعات اسلامية ربما يكون لديها معلومات تقود الى المفجرين. كما قامت باستجواب بعض سكان الحي المجاور للمبني واخذت معلومات منهم واطلقت سراحهم. وكان مجمع حدة السكني تعرض للقصف بثلاث قذائف متفجرة لم ينتج عنها اصابات. وقالت السفارة الأمريكية في بيان حصلت “الرياض” على نسخة منه ان قذيفتين “.انفجرتا داخل المجمع بينما انفجرت القذيفة الثالثة خارج المجمع. ودعت السفارة التي أغلق الشارع الذي يمر من إمامها “كل الرعايا الأمريكيين” ب “توخي الحذر في هذه المنطقة من المدينة

Read the rest:

 

US ‘works closely’ with Yemeni government on rocket attack

WASHINGTON (AFP) — The United States said Monday it was “working closely” with the Yemeni government on a rocket attack that targeted a compound in Sanaa where US oil experts were reportedly housed.

“We are working quite well and quite closely with the Yemeni government on it,” State Department spokesman Sean McCormack told reporters when asked for details of the attack.

(more…)

AQ-Yemen Strikes Again?

April 7, 2008

 

It appears as though al Qaeda influenced elements have attempted to target westerners again. This time, instead of going after the US embassy, they launched mortars at a housing complex in the affluent suburb of Hadda. I know that the there is a secured complex next to the (Best Western) Haddah Hotel (you can see the rows of houses in the  SW corner of the complex above). The Yemen Observer called the targeted buildings the “Kuwait Housing Complex,” a name I am not familiar with.  It is note worthy that Hadda Hotel is on the complete opposite end of Sana’a from the US Embassy and the other western hotels.  The article from al-Ghad says that the buildings hit housed employees of Safr Oil (Formerly Hunt until it was turned over to the Yemeni government). It also says that “casualties were transported by ambulances”…which is contrary to the English reports which said there were no casualties.

UPDATE: AQ-Yemen has claimed credit. The claim wasn’t posted in the forums though…this isn’t strange necessarily strange for the new al Qaeda in Yemen. It also appears I was right about the location. This article says it was behind the “Ramada” hotel owned by Kuwaiti investment – I guess its a Ramada now instead of a Best Western – getting classier.

Blasts Hit Foreigners’ Complex in Yemen

By AHMED AL-HAJ

SAN’A, Yemen (AP) – A housing complex used by foreigners in Yemen’s capital came under attack late Sunday, with explosions shattering windows and prompting residents to evacuate with suitcases and boxes.

Nobody was injured in the attack on the upscale Haddah neighborhood. The U.S. Embassy said “three explosive rounds” hit the compound, with two blowing up inside and the third outside.

“The Embassy advises all U.S. citizens to exercise caution in this area of the city,” the statement said.

After the blasts, Westerners were seen evacuating the compound. Some rolled suitcases and carried boxes to vehicles with diplomatic plates. Women huddled in idling cars, while children lugged backpacks.

(more…)

Full Text of al Wasat’s al Qaeda Interview

January 31, 2008

Just in the Arabic now. When I get some time I’ll go back and see if I can translate some of it.

لاأمان للسواح لأن دولهم محاربة ولسنا معنيين بأمان الدولة لهم 

هذا اللقاء تم بواسطة الهاتف مع المسئول الإعلامي للقاعدة في اليمن واسمه الحركي أحمد منصور. تم اللقاء عبر شخص يكنى (أبو عبد الرحمن) والذي يتواصل معنا ف

ي كل قضية لها علاقة بالقاعدة ولم يكذب في أي معلومة أبلغنا إياها. هذا المصدر أكد التصريح الأمني لصحيفة سبتمبر أنه شخصية معروفة للجهات الأمنية في معرض محاولة تكذيبها لتصريحه في عدد (الوسط) الماضي إلا أن تكذيب سبتمبر اثبت ما جاء في التصريحات من حيث لا تدري. في هذا اللقاء يؤكد المسئول الإعلامي بعض القضايا المعروفة ويكشف عن أخرى ولعل أهمية الحديث تأتي من أن هذا أول لقاء لمسئول من القاعدة وقد راعى أن يكون حذرا ربما لاحتياطات أمنية. ولكن ما يهم هنا هو التأكيد على أن الأجهزة الأمنية ما زالت تتعامل

مع القاعدة بحسب ما تعرفه عن شخصياتها التي لم تعد فعاله فيما تتجاهل مدا قاعديا يتجه صوب شباب عاطل وفقير

(more…)

Al Wasat Interview with al Qaeda Information Officer

January 29, 2008

A new interview between al Wasat and “Ahmad Mansour,” the operational name of the “information officer” of al Qaeda. Mansour told the paper that membership in the organization grew after the invasion of Iraq and “whenever the arrogance of the disbeliever increases.” He also says that early on Osama bin Laden instructed members not to attack the state because Yemen’s “weapons were directed toward the communists.” He says the relationship with the authority became strained in 1994 after the government reneged on their agreement. The article goes on to say that mediations with al Qaeda usually take place between sheiks sent by the state and jihadists, but that results are usually not achieved due to a lack of authority.

He goes on to say that the killing of Fawaz al Rubai and Mohammad ad Dailami occurred with the help of “American experts”…duh. And he calls on Jihadists within Yemen to resolve the differences between them Khalid Abdul Nabi and Nader al Shadadi ( an account of the disagreement within the Abyan group can be found here).

He defended the groups recent attacks against foreign tourists and affirmed the groups ability to carry out more operations in the future. Although, he says the first enemy is America.

He said that Islah is a weak party that does not like jihad, he praised Zindani, Abdul Wahab ad Dailami, Mohammad (Abdul Wahab?) al Ansi, and Sadiq, and he confirmed what many have been saying, that the Yemeni government asked al Qaeda to fight against the al Houthis in the north.

Mansour believes that Yemen security apparatuses – political security and national security – are conflicted about how to deal with terrorism, especially al Qaeda, because, in the past the policy has been containment through creating relationships – but it has turned out that new cells formed “away from the eyes” of security forces and the previously known al Qaeda members. 

       (more…)

NYT on Yemen’s Catch-and-Release al Qaeda Policy

January 28, 2008

 

An excellent article from the NYT…Very balanced. I am happy that the author discusses the generational differences between the old Afghan-trained al Qaeda (which I call AQ-Yemen A) and the new Iraqi, Zarqawi inspired generation (AQ-Yemen Z). Almost all of the AQ-Yemen A has been killed, quelled or allied with the government. Al Badawi is from the old generation, as is AAIA leader-at-large Khalid abdul Nabi who has been rumored to be fighting Zaidis in the north.

The suicide bombing of the Spaniards this summer was AQ-Yemen Z…but you will notice that the article makes no mention of the recent attack on the Belgians in Hadhramout – even though al Qaeda has reported claimed responsibility for the act. This is a good call by the author as, if it was al Qaeda, there is no indication which al Qaeda it was. Despite sharing a similar target, the attacks happened in a different locations, and the Hadhramout attack was significantly less sophisticated, and less sensational than the suicide bombing – which argues that it may not have been the same individuals. Although the threat was carried out in an official AQ e-zine, the claim of responsibility was was called into al-Wasat paper – somewhat dubious. Additionally, Al-Wasat has had similar communications with an AQ member with information on al Badawi (AQ-Yemen A) and the Aden-Abyan Islamic Army in the past.

For all these reasons, I am not comfortable attributing the attack, with confidence, to AQ-Yemen Z, if it was actually al Qaeda at all.

The article also features friend of the Empty Quarter Gregory Johnsen.

Yemen’s Deals With Jihadists Unsettle the U.S.

Published: January 28, 2008

SANA, Yemen – When the Yemeni authorities released a convicted terrorist of Al Qaeda named Jamal al-Badawi from prison last October, American officials were furious. Mr. Badawi helped plan the attack on the American destroyer Cole in 2000, in which 17 American sailors were killed.

(more…)

UPDATE On Terror Suspects in Belgian Shooting

January 21, 2008

Well, more like a confirmation. Mukalla Today says the suspects were apprehended on the basis of reports from locals, and confirms that a number of them where caught on the road to Shabwa. The report ends by citing sources that said the “taqfiri terrorists” were from “outside the governorate” (of Hadhramout).

(more…)

The Usual Suspects: Yemen Says It Has Individuals Linked to Belgian Shooting

January 21, 2008

Yemen is saying they have some suspects in the Belgian shooting. There were reports that they rounded up a number of people just after the event occurred, but there was no word that they actually had someone who knew anything. The article from Hadhramout Press says that Yemeni authorities announce the capture of four suspects from “takfiri” extremist groups which it called “a clear reference to al Qaeda.” The government has a history of blaming things on al Qaeda when they think it suits them – which should be kept in mind.

(more…)